As Youtube is both one of the most popular sites on the web and one of its largest search engines, creating and posting web videos to Youtube can be a great way to generate high quality backlinks to your website and send extra traffic your way. But in order to get the biggest possible benefit from your videos, be sure to optimize your video correctly. Here’s what you need to know…
Use Your Target Keywords
As with traditional on-page search engine optimization, incorporating your target keywords into your Youtube videos is an important way to ensure that your site receives all applicable SEO benefits. Be sure to include your keyword in the following locations:
- In your video’s file name (you’ll need to edit this before you upload your video to Youtube),
- In your video’s title,
- In the description you provide for your video, and
- In the keywords you choose to associate with your video
And while you should have a good idea of the specific keywords you’re targeting with your web video already, you can also use Youtube to conduct market research on other related keywords you could be targeting. To do this, visit the Youtube home page and enter your target keywords into to the search field. Take a look at the keywords associated with the videos in your search results that have the most views – chances are you’ll pick up at least a few additional keywords to target with your videos.
Solicit Views and Ratings
According to Search Engine Watch, Youtube takes only a few factors into consideration when ranking videos:
- Text in your titles and descriptions
- Number of views, and recent trending, and
Since we’ve already addressed incorporating keywords into the title and description tags for your videos, your next priority should be identifying ways to increase your video views in order to get a boost in the Youtube internal ranking system.
To boost the number of views your video receives, you have a few different options. Consider any of the following, depending on your situation:
- Make your video a response to another more popular video – This can be tricky, as the original video owner will need to approve your response request in order for your video to be listed as a response. But if you can get your video approved as a response to a popular video, a little link will show up underneath the original video pointing people to your content, which can dramatically increase your views.
- Embed your video on your own website – When you first upload your video to Youtube, you’ll find that it’s hard to get noticed, especially considering the number of other videos your content is competing against. To get that initial boost of views that can improve your trending in the Youtube search algorithm, consider embedding your video on your own website to generate views from the people who already enjoy your content.
- Advertise your video – Just as you would submit press releases to attract visitors to your own websites or build backlinks to your site to boost your off-page SEO, consider directing some of these advertising efforts to promote your Youtube video. Focus on advertising methods that deliver visitors – not just links – and you should see your rankings shoot up quickly.
The final step in getting your website ranked well within the Youtube search results – which, consequently, should deliver more traffic to your main site – is to encourage viewers to rate your videos. To do this, consider making use of the video editing tools Youtube makes available to its users. For example, according to Youtube:
“The Annotations Editor is a creator tool that lets you layer text, hotspots and links over your video, thus enriching experience with information, interactivity and engagement.”
By adding annotations near the end of the video that asks viewers to leave a rating for your video, you can substantially boost the number of people who take this critical action. You can also add information with captions and subtitles, depending on the specific type of call to action you want to share.
Creating web video can be a great way to attract visitors to your website, but it can be tough to get a video noticed within the competitive Youtube atmosphere. By optimizing your video information with your target keywords and taking steps to encourage views and ratings, you can improve your chances of getting noticed – and getting traffic – from this fun, interactive site.